Discover the growing respect that pop music is earning in the academic world.…
Sometimes, getting your voice to do what you want it to means more than just practicing the right vocal exercises. That’s what professional voice coach Line Hilton discovered after working with thousands of talented performers who found their progress hindered by anxiety, self-doubt, and a lack of motivation.
Combining her background as a performer and a nurse, Line developed a unique tool kit that utilizes Rapid Transformational Therapy to identify a performer’s limiting beliefs. From there, she works with students to develop new thinking patterns that foster better creativity, improved performance, and a healthier mindset.
In our chat with Line Hilton, she shares the unexpected journey that led her to become a singing teacher. We learn how a singer’s mindset can impact their performance positively and negatively. And we discover how opening yourself up to multiple schools of thought can lead to many benefits — for both instructors and students.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How Rapid Transformational Therapy (RTT) differs from hypnotherapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy 18:08
- How an RTT session works 19:17
- Health conditions RTT can help people with 21:38
- The value of merging multiple disciplines to build a stronger skillset 22:46
- How RTT helps more than just singers 24:29
- Why our modern lifestyle contributes to burnout 25:00
- Reasons why our attention spans are shrinking 25:50
- How to condition yourself to want to do difficult tasks 28:30
- Why admitting you don’t need to know everything can be beneficial for singing teachers 32:47
The book Line talks about is Singing for the Stars: A Complete Program for Training Your Voice by Seth Riggs.
Learn about the “5 Second Rule” that Line and Tom talk about at Everything You Need to Know About The 5 Second Rule | Mel Robbins.
And learn more about unraveling mindset obstacles by watching Line’s Masterclass “It All Starts with Mindset!” Use the code “iva-podcast” to receive $5 off any upcoming webinar event.
About the Institute for Vocal Advancement
Interested in attending professional development webinars with leading voice experts and becoming a more effective instructor? The Institute for Vocal Advancement grants you access to a thriving global community of teachers who work in every area of the music industry. Learn more by visiting our list of upcoming events and Teacher Training Programs.
Use the code “iva-podcast” to receive $5 of any upcoming webinar event.
Do you do vocal warm-ups before you sing? If you’re like a lot of us, you may gloss over this part of your singing process. Maybe you feel you don’t have enough time. Or maybe you think good warm-ups can’t be…
Practical tips for improving your students’ pitching skills…